Monday, September 23, 2013

Sunday In Ireland


Sunday in Ireland
Singing and playing at the Hilltop Pub

 

What a fun day! We started out with a wonderful service at St. John’s in Kill. All in all about 100 worshippers attended. I’m told that this is the most in recent memory except for perhaps a funeral. As folks were coming in I was doing my usual welcoming and one of the arrivals said, “Oh, are you from this parish?” And I thought my American accent would give me away.

 

I was privileged to be able to preach and as a warm up in the sermon I had the rector, Philip pick either a Yankees or a Red Sox hat. He couldn’t decide. Bishop Roy was there, he suggested in fashion of Solomon that Philip take both and wear them on alternate days. “Not allowed,” I said – since no one can be a fan of both. Philip chose the Yankee hat. Before the Yankee fans gloat too much, I gave him the information that the Yankees are known as the “Evil Empire”!

 

Later in the evening at the Hilltop Pub in Kildorrery, as we were listening to the Hilltop Hobos, a band that Don’s son often plays with, I was invited to come up and play during their break. So I had my debut playing the pub circuit in Ireland. Great memories!

 

Jeff Silvernail

1 comment:

  1. What a cool experience! Next time you're in town, would love to talk about how you find out about these foreign opportunities.

    ReplyDelete