Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 6 - The Saga or Falls, Rain and Lost Rider

I guess it was too much to expect 2 uneventful days. We left this morning in a misty rain. Not a half mile from the hotel both Amber and I were taken down by a wet, diagonal railroad crossing. Amber struck her head on the pavement - thank God for bike helmets! The helmet did what it was supposed to do, it broke instead of Amber's skull. I was a half second behind her and went down taking the brunt of the impact with my elbow. Meanwhile, Becca witnessed it all in the rear view mirror. What a way to start. We rode for a few hours as the misty rain turned steadier and colder. By 20 miles out I was beginning to get the first signs of hypothermia. It was my turn to ride in the Jeep until my core temp recovered and everything was working again. Then came the saga of the lost rider, Jeff Kane. Somehow he missed the rendezvous and his phone ran out of battery. two hours after our arrival time at St. Timothy, Geneseo we heard from him and sent out the rescue party! With his detours he managed to put 71 miles on. At last we are all present and accounted for. One last ride to Rochester tomorrow afternoon after worship with St. Timothy.

No comments:

Post a Comment