Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Rhythm of Mission

“The Lord appointed seventy others and sent them on ahead of him in pairs to every town and place where he himself intended to go. He said to them, 'The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest. Go on your way...'

“The seventy returned with joy, saying, 'Lord, in your name even the demons submit to us!'” Luke 10:1-3a, 17.

Go and return with joy! That's the rhythm of mission. It seems especially poignant right now. I'm writing the day before we board the bus to begin the journey that will take us to serve our neighbors in Berlin, Germany.

I wish I could say that I was ready to go, but, alas, a night and a morning of organizing and packing remains. Details, details...

But I am ready to serve! I love to serve. I'm not quite sure but I think this is the 14th mission trip I have been on. It is the 3rd one to a foreign country. Though the total numbers are a little fuzzy, with everyone of those trips I have returned with joy.

There has been joy over work accomplished, but far more joy over seeing Jesus in the face of others and in some way being Jesus to others. These are times of intentionally incarnating the love of Jesus. It is so fulfilling and uplifting. In fact one of the most common expressions of those I have known on mission trips is, “I received far more than I gave.”

It feels that good to serve in Jesus' name!

But we need not limit that experience to mission trips. Every day is a day in which you are in mission for Jesus. Every day is a day in which you can share the love and acceptance of Jesus. Every day is a day in which you can see the face of Jesus in your neighbor. Every day is a day in which you can practice loving the Lord you God with all your heart, all your mind, all your soul and all your strength; and love your neighbor as yourself.

Every day! Even today! Even tomorrow!

You've been called to be children of God and ambassadors for the gospel. You've been sent! Now go, then return to share your joy!

In Christ's Amazing Grace,

Jeff Silvernail

No comments:

Post a Comment